|Description||This company forms the basis of the Reckitt and Colman wine business, later known as Reckitt and Colman Food and Wine Division, and the wine division of Colman's of Norwich.|
William Juby Coleman, a chemist, originally sold mustard and starch during the mid-nineteenth century. In 1874 the mustard and starch business was sold to J & J Colman. The proceeds from this sale were later used to set up Coleman & Co. Ltd.
Subsidiary companies included The Norwich Vinegar and Distillery Company, The Swithin's Brewery, Newton and Lawrence (manufacturers of a powder used in the brewing of beer), and J Chapman and Company, who manufactured Rockham's Liver Pills and Nervelets.
1881 - William Juby Coleman formulated a tonic wine called Liebig's meat and malt wine.
1887 - Coleman and Company was registered. The business operated from premises in St George's Street, Norwich. A bar and concert hall was also owned by the company at the corner of Queen's Street and Bank Plain.
1901 - The name of Coleman's wine was changed to "Wincarnis", and this was registered as the company's trade name. The company moved from St George's Street to Westwick Street where they acquired Grout's factory, previously a silk mill. The office operated from two cottages which stood nearby.
The board was reorganised and the majority of subsidiaries were disassociated, leaving only interests in Rockhams.
1911 - New offices were built in Westwick Street, sandwiched between two boot and shoe factories.
c1918 - Coleman's acquired the East Anglian Wood Wool Company in King Street. The wood wool was sold to third parties, but was mainly used in the packing of Wincarnis.
1920s &1930s - A number of other products were developed during this period, including Odol (1920), Vitacup (1933), Wincarnis jellies (1930), Wincarnis Beef Cubes (1930), B V T meat extract, Astreena (analgesics), Ace of Blades (razor blades), and McCoy's Cod Liver Extract Tablets.
Odol products were sold within the British Empire under rights acquired from the Lingner Werke A.G. of Dresden, by a subsidiary company Cranbux Limited. In 1964 the interests in Cranbux were transferred back to the Lingner Werke GmbH Dusseldorf, although some product was still manufactured under licence in Norwich.
During the Second World War the Works were destroyed. J & J Colman came to the company's aid by offering factory facilities in the old Carrow Sports Club at Carrow Road, and from here production was able to continue.
1956 - The Gordon Moore range of cosmetic and children's toothpastes was also acquired, as well as Punch & Judy toothpaste.
Gordon Moore Ltd undertook the agencies of Burdon Spanish Sherry, Franz Reh German Table Wines, Burgundy and Bordeaux wines of Maison Albert Thierry and Descas Pere et Fils, and Bardinet Rhum, Brandy and Liqueurs.
The production of Vitacup was moved to Norwich and the packaging was changed.
1968 - On 15 November Coleman and Company Limited became part of the Reckitt and Colman Group of Companies.
1970s - The wine business became known as Reckitt and Colman Food and Wine division.
1981 - In October, the company pioneered wine box packaging.
1988 - The company was sold to Hedges and Butler, a subsidiary of Bass plc, in January 1988.